Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Be patient, Davis Cup success will come, says Jamie Baker

By Jamie Baker 728PM GMT 09 March 2010

Be patient, Davis Cup success will come, says Jamie Baker  John Lloyd Front row Colin Fleming (right) and Ken Skupski of Great Britain embrace recommendation from captain John Lloyd Photo GETTY IMAGES

I thought rambling my ankle on the eve of the Davis Cup tie in Lithuania was painful. But that was zero compared to the anguish of saying what has happened since examination the better to Lithuania unfold, and listening to the inquisition that has followed.

As a player, I"m disturbed we could lose out in another, far some-more poignant competition the censure game.

Becker backs Henman to assist GB Draper "must pay" for disaster British tennis guilty of slight Sport on radio LTA to aim Henman Kanu idea moves Portsmouth nearer reserve

I"ve listened the calls for John Lloyd to give up as Davis Cup captain. I was piece of the patrol in Lithuania, and I apply oneself him hugely. And I"ve listened the complaints about the Lawn Tennis Association. "Rip it up and begin again" seems to be the mantra.

Nothing would be some-more deleterious for the competition in this country.

Take my ankle injury. Within half an hour of nearing behind at the National Tennis Centre, I"d had an MRI scan. I"ve been since a state-of-the-art ice application appurtenance in my bedroom, that I am utilizing each hour of the day.

I"m carrying physio, operative out in the gym, swimming. Getting the right food, the right recommendation and support. The result? I should be behind on justice inside of the week. That would never have happened 4 years ago.

The total turn of professionalism around British tennis has left up massively. Everything is in place for the players to succeed.

It"s not up to the LTA to shake out winners. Their pursuit is to see after the wider game, and yield the sourroundings for success at the chosen level. And we as players need to grab that opportunity. We need to set a precedent, to action as purpose models.

I don"t think the Davis Cup is an correct thoughtfulness of the state of British tennis.

We"ve got so most gifted youngsters entrance by the ranks. I know that, since I sight with them each week. Team Aegon boys such as George Morgan, Luke Bambridge and Andrew Bettles.

Boys who recognize that bent isn"t only in the hands, but in the mind; who assimilate that with the await comes a clarity of responsibility.

Success will come, but if we begin again now, there"s a risk that losing in Lithuania won"t be inexcusable. It"ll be the norm.

Jamie Baker was piece of Great Britain"s Davis Cup patrol to face Lithuania but was ruled out on the eve of the tie after an damage in practice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment